Re: String at the bottom of a cover page without using \markup

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: String at the bottom of a cover page without using \markup
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 10:25:37 +0100

Hi,

Okay, I'll let myself sucked in this (in my opinion
unnecessarily) heated thread **for one post only**.

While I wouldn't call the proposed methods hacks, I
more or less share Paolo's dissatisfaction with the
current way footers are made customizable. What if
I wanted to write a stylesheet to place page numbers
at the bottom, and another to print them in an italic
font? These stylesheets will not combine, because they
will both redefine {even,odd}{Header,Footer}Markup
for their own purposes.

I have a vague but persistent dream that someday page
layout would become handled through grobs and contexts
like what we have for each individual score. Imagine
these stylesheets could be written as

%% Stylesheet 1

\layout {
  \context {
    \Book
    \override PageNumber.direction = #DOWN

%% Stylesheet 2

\layout {
  \context {
    \Book
    \override PageNumber.font-shape = #'italic

%% Main file

\new Book {
  \new BookPart \with {
    \omit PageNumber