Re: Markup functions and punctuation in lyrics

From: R. Padraic Springuel
Subject: Re: Markup functions and punctuation in lyrics
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 16:40:23 -0400

> On Oct 18, 2021, at 5:57 PM, David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> I'd lean towards defining \man like in the question and a function \maN
> that takes the following markup and concatenates it.  That's viciously
> unclever but sometimes not having to worry whether the computer gets
> everything right is its own reward.

David, can you elaborate on this suggestion a bit?  \man is only a single
example of the kind of function I have to write (there are similar ones for
various pronouns, possessive adjectives, etc.) and so I’d like to separate the
punctuation handling from the word selection (to avoid duplicate code in each
function.  I’m working on applying that idea to Jean’s code, but perhaps your
idea is better suited to said separation.  Is it anything more elaborate than
establishing a function which effectively does `\markup \concat { \man, }`?
And if not, is there a more succinct way of writing that?

Fr. Samuel, OSB
(R. Padraic Springuel)
St. Anselm’s Abbey
4501 South Dakota Ave, NE