Re: Windows Media Player alternatives for midi playing?

From: Henning Hraban Ramm
Subject: Re: Windows Media Player alternatives for midi playing?
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 09:33:59 +0100

> Am 31.10.2021 um 03:12 schrieb Aaron Hill <lilypond@hillvisions.com>:

> I run SumatraPDF which is able to display a PDF without causing Lilypond to
> fail to write to the file at a later time.  In fact, it is also able to
> detect such changes and redisplay its contents.  None of this is special to
> Sumatra though, so there could be other PDF viewers that are similarly
> well-behaved.

I recently did a survey on PDF viewers in relation to TeX. Sumatra is
exceptionally well-behaved and thus a favorite of TeX developers on Windows.

I don’t run Windows myself (and my Linux is 64 bit only, so I can’t run Wine
either) and would welcome more hints about PDF viewers on Windows.

Most open source PDF viewers are in a sad state of supporting only basic
features or subsets of features like annotations and forms; most can’t even
display extended properties (LuaTeX sets a few), and don’t ask for XMP.
That doesn’t mean commercial PDF viewers/editors would be generally better.
Foxit Reader crashes nearly as often as Adobe Reader when I work with
annotations (on MacOS). I found only two commercial apps than can change
TrimBox/BleedBox in a visual way: Acrobat Pro and PDF Studio Pro, and the
latter reliably crashes on PDFs created with TeX.

Sorry, OT.

As a MIDI player I’m using FluidSynth/QSynth with one the recommended
soundfonts.

Hraban