Re: Sending around contexts

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Sending around contexts
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 09:22:24 -0400

Hi David,

>> My *big* question is: Can notes be pushed *with timing
>> synchronization* between context?
>
> Without storing events, how would it even be possible without timing
> synchronisation?  Iteration happens in time order.  Well, apart from
> grace timing quirks.

1. That was my intuition, but I’m glad to hear it confirmed.

2. The grace timing quirk — which has (“coincidentally”?!) been plaguing me on
my current engraving project — will likely be even more bothersome in the type
of “context-jumping” scores I’m talking about.

>> Can this kind of mechanism be used to [easily] engrave scores like the
>> following?
>
> There is no "easily" in such scores.  The question is rather whether you
> encounter problems doing such scores where particular tools can simplify
> the work of creating the input.  For that one first has to develop an
> input process and see what problems are "hard" in that context.

I’ll see what I can do about drawing up a reasonably-Minimum Working Example to
act as an initial straw man.

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)