Re: Early (very early) project: The Celtic Song Book (c) 1928

From: Michael Gerdau
Subject: Re: Early (very early) project: The Celtic Song Book (c) 1928
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 12:19:18 +0200 (CEST)

> > - In older music with lyrics it was common to see beams broken for each
> > syllable. Today it's common practice to not do that. I'll leave it up to
> > you to decide which style you want to follow. It sounds like you're using
> > an older edition for a source.
>
> That is not totally a thing of old practise/new practice. Conventional vocal
> practise is to have beams align with melismas. This has the advantage that
> more complex melismatic lyrics distributions are easy to read.
[rest snipped]

I totally agree with that. As a performing singer I very much prefer the mixed
(3rd) and broken (1st) versions, possibly with an ever so slight preference for
the mixed one, and then with quite a distance the so called regular (2nd) as of
Valentin's 3 examples.

Language itself has a rhythm and when lyrics are not just vocalized sound then
the language and its inherent rhythm almost always is more important.

Kind regards,
Michael
--
Michael Gerdau email: mgd@qata.de