Re: Placing text on multi-voice part

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Placing text on multi-voice part
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 13:05:04 -0500

On Sat 23 Oct 2021 at 12:24:34 (+0200), Jogchum Reitsma wrote:
> Op 23-10-2021 om 03:10 schreef David Wright:
> > On Fri 22 Oct 2021 at 17:22:16 (+0200), Jogchum Reitsma wrote:
> >
> > > I get the attached screenshot.
> > >
> > > But I would expect (and want...) the text snippet "ste"placed on the
> > > three first quarter notes of the bar,  and the following "e" on the
> > > lat quarter.
> > >
> > > The "lei -- son" then should be placed at the next bar.
> > >
> > > What do I do wrong here?
> > You should read § 2.1.1 of NR, particularly at "Aligning lyrics to a
> > melody", "Using associatedVoice", "Multiple notes to one syllable" and
> > "Divisi lyrics". For small areas of non-matching rhythms, they work
> > well, but I find the method following, in "Polyphony with shared
> > lyrics", scales better than the others.
> >
> > An example, hacked from a hymn, is attached. I copy one of the parts
> > (usually soprano) as the basis of the "align" variable, and then
> > subdivide (using ties) any note where another part moves. This looks
> > after the alignment of syllables, and extension generation (manually
> > set here). What I don't do is to copy/paste the moving parts
> > themselves, like the first NR example does: time-wasting and error-prone
> > IMO. The three-voice example is more how I do it, but uses slurs
> > rather than my ties.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > David.
>
> I had to think a while what you mean by NR, but I think it's Note
> Reference?

Notation.

> There I could not find the "Polyphony with shared lyrics" you mention
> (using the 2.22.1 version of the documentation).

Perhaps a PDF viewer with a search function would help. Until then:

2.22.1  2.23.2
page    page    section
267     279     § 2.1.1
269     281     "Aligning lyrics to a melody"
273     285     "Using associatedVoice"
275     287     "Multiple notes to one syllable"
296     308     "Divisi lyrics"
297     309     "Polyphony with shared lyrics"

> I use Frescobaldi for coding, and then your example does not fit
> there, I think.

I don't understand your use of "fit". I've seen examples of
Frescobaldi screenshots with NullVoice in the source. Or do
you mean that you can't edit c4 into c8~c in Frescobaldi?

> In any case, the solution of Guy presented above works
> fine for me, so for now I'm fine.

Cheers,
David.