Markup with long notes spacing

From: Erika Pirnes
Subject: Markup with long notes spacing
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 17:56:46 +0000

I've been struggling with spacing issues. In my example below, the second measure shows the default behavior, where the two markups are placed on top of each other. (If I was playing this, I would find it very confusing.) I would like to stretch the long note in the beginning of second measure, so that the two markups can fit next to each other.

I thought "textLenghtOn" would solve my problems but it seemingly just moves them somewhere else, here the other part (see first measure of the example). I also tried experimenting with "SpacingSpanner.base-shortest-duration" but it doesn't solve the problem and makes the spacing look pretty ridiculous after some point.

Any suggestions?

\version "2.18.2"

rit = \markup {\italic "rit." }
atempo = \markup {\italic "a tempo" }