Re: NoteColumn without parents?

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: NoteColumn without parents?
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 19:42:52 +0200

Le 19/10/2021 à 17:47, Thomas Morley a écrit :
Hi,

please consider:

{
   b4\glissando
   \once \override NoteColumn.glissando-skip =
     #(lambda (grob)
       (pretty-print
         (list
           (cons 'X-parent (ly:grob-parent grob X))
           (cons 'Y-parent (ly:grob-parent grob Y))))
        #t)
   c'
   d'
}

I.e. NoteColumn seems to have no parents, at least I can't read any
parent from 'glissando-skip.
Is this on purpose?

If you use ly:message to avoid intermingling of
stdout with stderr, you will see that glissando-skip
is being read in the translation stage. What triggers
it is an acknowledger in the Glissando_engraver, in
Voice context. The default parent of PaperColumn for
NoteColumn is set by the Paper_column_engraver in
stop-translation-timestep; if there are several
voices, the Collision_engraver -- in Staff context,
so its acknowledgers run after the Glissando_engraver's --
will gather the NoteColumn grobs in a NoteCollision.
Consequently, glissando-skip is in all cases read
at a point of time by which the NoteColumn has no parent.

What is your objective?

Best,
Jean