Re: Suppressing engraving of string numbers on all voices simultaneously

From: Valentin Petzel
Subject: Re: Suppressing engraving of string numbers on all voices simultaneously
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 01:23:38 +0200

Hello Dave,

Doing \override Voice.something will only affect the current Voice context.
Simply use \override Staff.something to have it affect the whole Staff (more
or less).

But you shouldn’t use set the transparent property for this (this make the
numbers not appear, but they will still affect spacing!). Rather override the
stencil to ##f, so in old notation do
\override Staff.StringNumber #stencil = ##f
And in new notation
\override Staff.StringNumber.stencil = ##f

You can also put this into a \with block for the staff:
\new Staff \with { \override StringNumber.stencil = ##f } someMusic

Cheers,
Valentin