Re: Manipulating lyrics with a music function

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Manipulating lyrics with a music function
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2021 21:33:55 -0700

On 2021-10-08 8:24 pm, David F. wrote:
macOS 10.14.6, Lilypond 2.22.1

The syntax for adding quotes to lyrics is a little cluttered, so I
thought I’d whip up a couple of little helper functions to tidy things
up.  Two hours later I’m reaching out to the mailing list for help.
The example below is failing in two ways.  First, I can’t figure out
how to actually interpolate the syllable that is the input to my
functions into the output.  Second, the hyphen between the first two
syllables is lost.

Your functions could accept the text as markup. Also, you should strongly consider using typographer's quotes, which can be input directly as UTF-8 or using character shorthand neither of which requires messing about with escaping:

%%%%
\paper { #(include-special-characters) }
\relative { \time 3/4 e'4 e4. e8 d4 e d c2. }
\addlyrics { &elqq;In -- com -- pa -- ra -- ble,&erqq; said she }

openQuote = #(define-scheme-function (text) (markup?) #{ \markup \concat { “ #text } #}) closeQuote = #(define-scheme-function (text) (markup?) #{ \markup \concat { #text ” } #})
\relative { \time 3/4 e'4 e4. e8 d4 e d c2. }
\addlyrics { \openQuote In -- com -- pa -- ra -- \closeQuote ble, said she }
%%%%

-- Aaron Hill