Re: Lilypond is now on Homebrew for macOS Mojave or higher (Intel or M1)

From: Jefferson Felix
Subject: Re: Lilypond is now on Homebrew for macOS Mojave or higher (Intel or M1)
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 09:39:32 -0300

No problem, I was just pointing out the reasons why Guile 1.8.8 was not approved by the homebrew core. I even believe this will help advance Guile 2 compatibility, and certainly the Lilypond development community will pick up on any bugs.

> To follow up on Jeans remarks: Maybe (if it's not already the case) it would be a good idea if your LilyPond version would show a message regarding Guile 2 on startup

We did something similar when we build TeXLive for homebrew, showing a message that it's a Homebrew distribution (something like TeXLive 2021/Homebrew). But TeXLive has a way to do this without touching the source code. I'm going to check Lilypond's build documentation if it's possible to do something like this.

Em ter., 5 de out. de 2021 às 08:28, Lukas-Fabian Moser <lfm@gmx.de> escreveu:

Am 05.10.21 um 11:48 schrieb Jefferson Felix:
> I asked lilypond-devel before merging lilypond into homebrew, and they
> didn't notice known bugs with guile 2 - they already fixed all known
> issues.
> The strict homebrew core rules don't agree on using guile 1.8, unless
> severe bugs exist and make it impossible to use (they don't have this
> version, unlike the Mac ports).
> I know Mac ports use guile 1.8, and other Linux distributions also do,
> but these arguments were insufficient for the homebrew core team to
> agree with this version.

Sorry, I think I didn't make myself completely clear. What I wanted to
say was:

- I very much applaud your project, which I think helps the (mac)
LilyPond community a great deal.
- Even though your LilyPond releases differ substantially from the
official releases, I would expect them to work quite well for most use
cases.
- That your release may not be "officially supported" does not mean that
the LilyPond developer team won't interested in hearing bug reports, as
stable Guile 2 compatibility is an actual development goal.

To follow up on Jeans remarks: Maybe (if it's not already the case) it
would be a good idea if your LilyPond version would show a message
regarding Guile 2 on startup. Maybe something like:

GNU LilyPond 2.22.0 (Guile 2 build)

or whatever; perhaps this would make it more probable that people
reporting bugs give the crucial information that they're on Guile 2.

Lukas

--
---
Jefferson dos Santos Felix