Re: Lilypond is now on Homebrew for macOS Mojave or higher (Intel or M1)

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: Lilypond is now on Homebrew for macOS Mojave or higher (Intel or M1)
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 13:28:04 +0200

Am 05.10.21 um 11:48 schrieb Jefferson Felix:
I asked lilypond-devel before merging lilypond into homebrew, and they didn't notice known bugs with guile 2 - they already fixed all known issues. The strict homebrew core rules don't agree on using guile 1.8, unless severe bugs exist and make it impossible to use (they don't have this version, unlike the Mac ports). I know Mac ports use guile 1.8, and other Linux distributions also do, but these arguments were insufficient for the homebrew core team to agree with this version.

Sorry, I think I didn't make myself completely clear. What I wanted to say was:

- I very much applaud your project, which I think helps the (mac) LilyPond community a great deal. - Even though your LilyPond releases differ substantially from the official releases, I would expect them to work quite well for most use cases. - That your release may not be "officially supported" does not mean that the LilyPond developer team won't interested in hearing bug reports, as stable Guile 2 compatibility is an actual development goal.

To follow up on Jeans remarks: Maybe (if it's not already the case) it would be a good idea if your LilyPond version would show a message regarding Guile 2 on startup. Maybe something like:

GNU LilyPond 2.22.0 (Guile 2 build)

or whatever; perhaps this would make it more probable that people reporting bugs give the crucial information that they're on Guile 2.

Lukas