Re: Request for an Intership

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Request for an Intership
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 20:16:20 +0200

Le mardi 18 avril 2023 à 17:14 +0000, Samuel Papelier a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> As a passionate musician and   current student in python3 (Python Essentials
> 1 & 2 netacade)  located in Paris  France (I’m a frenchspeaker ) .I’m
> contacting you to request an intership .This
> intership is totaly free of charge. It could be for me the chance to go
> beyond pratices and meet the real world of programmers .
>
> The intership  will take place  from 22th of May to 16th of June
> I am completely available to provide you with futher information you may
> regarding my candidacy.
>
> I’m looking forward to hearing from you,
>
> Samuel Papelier

Hi Samuel,

Welcome to the LilyPond community.

LilyPond is free software (meaning “logiciel libre” in French) / open source.
It is run by a community of informally organized volunteers across the world
who work on it in their free time.
Consequently, what we could provide as an “internship” is probably somewhat
different from what one would expect from a more usual internship in a company
or public service.

The people who read the lilypond-devel-owner mailing list, which you've written
your request to, are merely the administrators of the lilypond-devel list. This
is a purely administrative role (like
triaging spam) and doesn't mean those who do it have some sort of authority
over the project. I'm writing this reply on the lilypond-devel list instead,
that is where developers actually hang out.

Basically, everyone, including you, is very welcome to work on LilyPond, but
you want to be supervised, your internship contract (“convention de stage”)
will be a contract between you and the
supervisor only, not between you and some abstract “LilyPond” entity. There is
no LilyPond company, since LilyPond is not being run for profit, and we
currently do not have a LilyPond association
either.

To make sure we're on the same page: in practical terms, that also means a
remote internship. (Note that I live in France, in Gif-sur-Yvette, and if
you're not too far away, we could meet, but I will
be abroad during the last two weeks of your internship period.)

What is the context of your request? Are you looking for an internship that
will be recognized and evaluated by your university or high school? If so, you
should first ask them if you working remotely
on a community-driven free software project as your internship is acceptable
for them, both on a pedagogical level and on the legal level.

Best,
Jean