Re: music-font-encodings option

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: music-font-encodings option
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2023 18:20:23 +0000 (UTC)

> Would anyone be able to explain me what the purpose of the
> music-font-encodings option is?  I'm trying to understand how the
> generation of the Emmentaler font works.  I see that there is quite
> a bit of infrastructure for this option, which is used in
> `--pspdfopt`, but it's not clear to me what its effect on size when
> embedding in TeX documents is.

Does the README text of

  https://github.com/trueroad/extractpdfmark

help, together with the explanations of the `-O` option on

https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.25/Documentation/usage/basic-command_002dline-options-for-lilypond

?

Essentially, this option switches between the `show` and `glyphshow`
PostScript operators to access Emmentaler glyphs.  The former is
considered the 'standard' method for accessing glyphs in a PS file
(according to the GS developers); however, it needs properly set up
encoding vectors (which can't exceed a size of 256 glyphs each).  The
latter is slower, AFAIK, and apparently not as well supported with GS
(at least, we filed some bug reports, IIRC).

    Werner