Re: convert-ly warnings too global

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: convert-ly warnings too global
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 16:44:29 +0100

Le dimanche 26 février 2023 à 10:55 +0000, Werner LEMBERG a écrit :
> If I do
>
> ```
> convert-ly en/notation/rhythms.itely > /dev/null
> ```
>
> I get the following two warnings.
>

> ```
> Not smart enough to convert music following \fine.
>
> Warning: \fine no longer enforces the end of the music.  If your piece
> has music following \fine that you want to exclude when it is
> unfolded, use \volta to exclude it.
> Please refer to the manual for details, and update manually.
>
> Not smart enough to convert BreathingSign to Divisio.
>
> MensuralStaff and VaticanaStaff now use Divisio_engraver to engrave
> divisiones as Divisio grobs.
>
> Previously, the respective Voice-aliased contexts used
> Breathing_sign_engraver to engrave divisiones as BreathingSign grobs.
> Because of the new names and the move from Voice to Staff, layout
> adjustments for the old scheme are not effective for the new.
>
> If you are not content with the new default layout, deal with Divisio
> and Divisio_engraver in the appropriate Staff-aliased context.
> Please refer to the manual for details, and update manually.
> ```
>

> AFAICS, these warnings are unfounded; they are rather artifacts of
> `convert-ly`, which applies regular expressions 'too globally'.
>
> Is there any chance to fix this (i.e., improve the heuristics)?
>
> BTW, a similar issue happens if I process
> `en/notation/changing-defaults.itely` with `convert-ly`:
>
> ```
> Not smart enough to convert BreathingSign to BarLine or Divisio.
> ```

There was thought put into those heuristics and I think they are as good as
they can be. Perhaps the improvement we could make would be parsing tely files
with the same code as lilypond-book and only applying the heuristics to each
fragment. But that's not really a user-facing problem, except for those who use
Texinfo + lilypond-book for their own purposes.

We could include a line number in the warnings too. However, when they are
triggered by several conditions simultaneously, it's not always clear where to
attach it.