Re: RFC: stop doing "grand replace" updates to copyright years

From: Wol
Subject: Re: RFC: stop doing "grand replace" updates to copyright years
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2023 23:29:34 +0000

On 13/02/2023 22:50, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
which sounds like exactly the opposite.

I read it again, and you are right. The instructions say to update
each file even if the file itself wasn't changed in that year. I guess
the instructions codify what I find annoying in this practice: to
touch files even if they weren't changed in any way.

My gut feeling is that this is actually fraud.

Strong words, I know, but if nothing creative has happened that is worthy of copyright, then to claim that the copyright has changed is just plain wrong.

I don't know the laws exactly with corporate copyrights, but seeing as the copyright clock only starts ticking for "real person" authors when they die, the reality is each person on project where copyright is NOT assigned should probably update their own personal copyright statement every time they make a change. But then that's horrendous header clutter...

Personally, I'd be happiest if everybody who updated a file was responsible for making sure the copyright date was updated appropriately, and we didn't make global changes as and when nothing has actually changed in the file.

Cheers,
Wol