Re: [RFC] Switch Docker images to Ubuntu 20.04 and bump requirements

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [RFC] Switch Docker images to Ubuntu 20.04 and bump requirements
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 16:37:10 +0000 (UTC)

> Another "pain point" is that the images are much bigger (997MB
> compared to 823MB with Ubuntu 18.04).

Ouch.

> I had a quick look and most if it seems to come from TexLive. If
> somebody has ideas how to "install less" or otherwise reduce the
> size, I would welcome contributions.

Here is a comparison of the installed sizes of the TeXLive packages (I
took the info from https://packages.ubuntu.com).

  package                    bionic (18.04)  focal (20.04)
  -------------------------  --------------  -------------
  texlive-base                  52MB            73MB
  texlive-binaries              36MB            36MB
  texlive-fonts-recommended     18MB            15MB
  texlive-font-utils             4MB             4MB
  texlive-lang-cyrillic         40MB            40MB
  texlive-metapost               2MB             3MB
  texlive-plain-generic         53MB            56MB

  texinfo                        7MB            11MB
  texi2html                      2MB             2MB
                              -------         -------
                               214MB           240MB

This doesn't explain the difference of 160MB...  I don't have enough
time to do more size comparisons, sorry.

> As a second step, I would like to bump a number of requirements to
> versions available in Ubuntu 18.04.  [...]

+1

> What I would like to keep are the versions of FontForge, where we
> are bound by CentOS 7, and Ghostscript, because it had a licensing
> change to AGPL and I think it would be good the keep the ability to
> run with a GPL-only version.

The gs version coming with 20.04 (9.50) should also guarantee small
PDF files of the documentation...

    Werner