Re: Shorthand for \repeat unfold for individual notes

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Shorthand for \repeat unfold for individual notes
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 00:58:41 +0100

On 24/01/2023 00:16, Aaron Hill wrote:
> There is already shorthand for tremolo repeats, so I wondered if there could
> be the same for cases when a single note or rest is repeated.
>
> %%
> % Start with music that has repeated notes:
> { \time 7/8 a8 8 8 b16 16 16 16 c4 }
>
> % Manually unfolded repeats work, but take up a lot of input space:
> { \time 7/8 \repeat unfold 3 a8 \repeat unfold 4 b16 c4 }
>
> % This produces the correct length of music without note repetition:
> { \time 7/8 a8*3 b16*4 c4 }
>
> % Possible shorthand for unfolded repeat:
> { \time 7/8 a8**3 b16**4 c4 }
> %%
>
> In a sense, the ** acts like (integral) scaling of a duration but with
> unfolded repetition as the realization.

Well, so we are basically having the discussion
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2021-09/msg00074.html
again.

With the time that has passed, I think my relative distaste
for one of the solutions has more or less went away: today,
I would consider adding

"\*" = \repeat unfold \etc

to music-functions-init.ly just good enough.

Jean