Re: Explicit default duration?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Explicit default duration?
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 00:35:23 +0100

Aaron Hill <lilypond@hillvisions.com> writes:

> On 2023-01-23 9:12 am, Luca Fascione wrote:
>> Of course. Forgive me I got distracted with Mats's message (for which I
>> suspect 'p' could be a viable suggestion? p -> last sound (or last
>> pitch?),
>> q -> last chord)
>> For your case I'm warming up to the 0, actually
>
> I would say there is symmetric value with 'p' as a pseudo pitch, so
> maybe not throw out the idea altogether.
>
> %%
> { a4. b8 c4 r0 2 b } % '0' breaks up the parsing without changing
> duration
> { a4. b8 c4 r p2 b } % 'p' achieves a similar goal but regarding pitch
> %%
>
> If both of these patterns could be accepted, then it would give users
> a choice of how they prefer to input music.  I, for one, would find
> myself using 'p' over '0', but others may find the exact opposite
> working for their needs.

p would require that there actually is a next pitch (or drum type,
assuming that p gets specialcased like r and R).

Also it begs the question what to do about c2 <e p> ...

Not saying that it's a dealbreaker but it does seem to require a bit of
attention.  The positive thing is that there already is a Scheme
representation, and there might be _some_ motivation to remove redundant
durations in \displayLilyMusic again when one can output
{ c'4 c' p2 } instead of the faulty { c'4 c' 2 } .  But I am not sure
that removing redundancy would actually be a good thing.