Re: RFC: require librsvg to implement SVG image support

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: RFC: require librsvg to implement SVG image support
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 00:45:54 -0800

On 2023-01-14 7:45 am, Jonas Hahnfeld via Discussions on LilyPond development wrote:
I strongly believe that we must figure this out *now*, before deciding
to go that route. Relatedly, I also think it was a mistake to ask the
users at this stage - they cannot assess the technical difficulties of
making either solution happen.

Yes and no.  My apologies for posting disagreement here.

It is not really relevant whether users can or cannot assess technical difficulties. Some of us who use LilyPond do have software engineering experience, so we might be well-equipped (albeit perhaps not well-motivated) to consider technical matters.

But the important thing is that users *are* able to express what they need from LilyPond. Jean's post on the list was merely an ask for what vector format(s) could be useful. (I think SVG "won", if it matters.) It then falls to the development team to make this request a reality within the limits of their abilities and time and factoring in any technical roadblocks.

Sure, if it was not even remotely possible to support, say, SVG as an image format, one could argue it would have been inappropriate to offer it as an option in a poll. You don't ask the customer if they like chocolate or vanilla ice cream if you know full well that you only have strawberry in the kitchen. But both SVG and PDF were superficially plausible formats. Yes, this discussion around Rust and CMake and what not shows that things are perhaps more complicated than one would like; but I would hardly say Jean overstepped any responsibility for the poll.

And even more so clearly stated, we are all humans and we all make mistakes. Let's say that SVG is not a possible image format, for whatever reason, yet it was the format that people seemed to want. If we cannot make that a reality, we just ask for forgiveness. A direct "mea culpa" to let folks know that we have hit a wall that cannot be surmounted, and we will have to wait to support the format at a later time if it would ever be possible.

-- Aaron Hill