Re: RFC: require librsvg to implement SVG image support

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: RFC: require librsvg to implement SVG image support
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 16:45:28 +0100

On Wed, 2023-01-11 at 23:13 +0100, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> Regarding rsvg and rust: maybe we could try with an older version of
> librsvg first? Rust was only introduced in 2.41, so if we go with
> 2.40, we can postpone the worry about compiling Rust.

librsvg 2.41 was released in 2017, the last bugfix release for version
2.40(.21) is from February 2020, while the one before (2.40.20) is from
December 2017. Going for an ancient version like this without a plan
for upgrading was exactly one of the pain points in the later days of
GUB, and I take offense in even discussing to consciously get into that
situation again.

I strongly believe that we must figure this out *now*, before deciding
to go that route. Relatedly, I also think it was a mistake to ask the
users at this stage - they cannot assess the technical difficulties of
making either solution happen.

Jonas