Re: The hel-arabic.ly file story...

From: Luca Fascione
Subject: Re: The hel-arabic.ly file story...
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2023 11:01:16 +0100

On Fri, Jan 13, 2023 at 10:44 AM Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> wrote:

> `hel-arabic.ly` exists since more
> than five years, and nobody has ever complained about the name, as far
> as I can remember.

Well yes. but.
Out of the users of that file, how many
a) would have noticed,
b) would be aware of our naming standards,
c) would think it their task to report it?

It seems that we are looking at a very small group of users here,
who may well be more focused on music than on software engineering
practices.

For example, if 90% of our total users correspond to this characterization
(more interest in music than SW Eng), and
the users of arabic or hel-arabic are less than 20, both of which seem like
passable first guesses,
we're looking at a single person who may or may not have noticed (because
there'd be 2-ish total, and Hassan himself counts as one of them of course).

I guess I feel the SW Eng practice quality is our gate to keep, not our
users'.
We provide guidance and assistance so that everybody's contributions be of
a reasonable standard and all that, right?
It seems this thread is evidence that the case for this particular file is
that so far it has slipped past even our own eyes,
rather than having been accepted as meeting our criteria in the first place.

Now, obviously renaming it will break scores, we don't know how many, and
we don't know what amount of disruption
it would cause to fix it. And it's also a possibility to rename the file
and put back a new file with the old name which warns
of the deprecation and includes the new file, to maintain compatibility.
I'll now stop saying things everybody else already knows.

Luca Fascione