Re: RFC: require librsvg to implement SVG image support

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: RFC: require librsvg to implement SVG image support
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2023 23:32:43 +0100

Le 10/01/2023 à 23:25, Han-Wen Nienhuys a écrit :
On Mon, Jan 9, 2023 at 7:45 PM Jonas Hahnfeld <hahnjo@hahnjo.de> wrote:
On Sun, 2023-01-08 at 23:18 +0100, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
In order to keep support for vector graphics, even if not
with EPS, we can add support for embedding SVG images.
Are we sure that this is actually what the users need? If everybody
just cares about including PDF (for logos), I'm not sure if we need to
implement support for SVG.
PDF has much more features than SVG, so it's not obvious that that
will be easier, and if we want to ingest the PDF graphic for output to
SVG/PNG/PS, we'll have to interpret the PDF data, basically doing what
Poppler does.

I don't understand how this is different from SVG.

Poppler can render to a Cairo context just like Librsvg, see the example here:

https://www.cairographics.org/cookbook/renderpdf/

In terms of complexity for us, it's mostly equivalent.

I've posted a request for feedback on lilypond-user to have a sense of
which of SVG and PDF would be most useful. (It hasn't appeared
on the archives yet, I'll post a link when it does.)

A thought in passing: whether we take Librsvg or Poppler, we will need
libjpeg. This should also enable us to support JPEG in addition to PNG
with not too much effort.