Re: RFC: require librsvg to implement SVG image support

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: RFC: require librsvg to implement SVG image support
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2023 08:07:37 +0100

On Mon, 2023-01-09 at 23:19 +0100, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
> Le 09/01/2023 à 20:50, Jonas Hahnfeld a écrit :
> > I tried very hard to install as much as possible from the official
> > repositories (MetaPost on CentOS7 and Meson being the exceptions),
> > which makes the environment very easy to reproduce. I'm not too fond of
> > the rustup approach in general...
>
> Maybe this is a crazy idea, but what would you think of making the
> release scripts download and execute rustup in a local directory
> (isolated from whatever install the system might have), similar to
> how they're downloading dependency tarballs? That would ensure the
> compiler version is exactly the one wanted for us while not interfering
> with anything on the system or require environment setup.

The goal of the scripts was to assume that everything needed to build
LilyPond (and its dependencies) is already there, only the runtime
dependencies are taken care of. This is why we don't build GCC and
other stuff from source (because it was horrible in GUB), and
downloading pre-built binary stuff goes even more against this
principle.