Re: Missing items to make Cairo ready

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Missing items to make Cairo ready
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2023 22:25:39 +0100

Le 07/01/2023 à 22:16, Jonas Hahnfeld a écrit :
That's not really my point; if we keep markup commands that only work
via this very specific ps2pdf conversion, we have to guarantee that
users get the same visual output as direct PDF output. Do we want to
support this? Does Cairo guarantee this for all possible cases that we
run into? I highly doubt this is a good rabbit hole to go into...

I don't see an obvious reason for the PDF output to differ noticeably from
the current output since Cairo doesn't process the EPS code in any way
but just embeds it in pretty much the same way as the PS backend does,
and the EPS -> PDF rendering is done by GS in both cases.

If we don't do that the error text of \epsfile and \postscript in the
default PDF mode has to be "please use this ps2pdf conversion (which we
don't even ship with our binaries), and by the way, your PDF will look
different". That sounds horrible.

We don't need to mention ps2pdf at all. Just "You may still use
\epsfile when generating PS / EPS output. For other formats,
images must be in PNG[/SVG/JPEG possibly] formats." I assume
someone who really wants to include EPSes for some reason knows
a bit about what the EPS format is.