Re: Missing items to make Cairo ready

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Missing items to make Cairo ready
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2023 10:19:17 +0100

On Wed, 2023-01-04 at 12:52 +0100, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> Regarding versioning: the 1.x to 2.x transition was motivated by
> radical syntax changes that necessitated converting and 'manually'
> verifying the .ly files. Since Cairo vs. Ghostscript doesn't affect
> the semantics of .ly files, I think we can continue the 2.x version
> number. As a practical example, page layout was introduced in 2.4, and
> direct to PostScript only became default in 2.6; both changes are much
> more invasive than what we are discussing here.

Regardless of what has been done in prior versions, it seems to me the
cleanest solution still is to remove a number of markup commands that
we cannot or do not want to support with Cairo. We know some are used
in existing libraries and scores, so this constitutes a breaking
change. What exactly is your argument for *not* going to version 3.x in
that case?