Re: Missing items to make Cairo ready

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Missing items to make Cairo ready
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2023 23:55:12 +0100

Le 05/01/2023 à 23:30, Jonas Hahnfeld a écrit :
What I find worrying in this discussion is that proponents of having
Cairo sooner than later keep dismissing the size argument, in parts
with very strong words, without the willingness to look into it (as far
as I understand; or have there been concrete attempts before I raised
the point only yesterday?). In my humble opinion, this is not a good
attitude for planning and proposing large-scale changes as we are
discussing them...

No, I had not looked into this before yesterday or thought about it,
and I am not ashamed about it, because the exact purpose of this
thread in the first place was to ask what the potential blockers
were, you brought up one, and that is the kind of answer I expected.

Again, I am not proposing anything. I'm just trying to figure out
a minimum amount of work that needs to be done before a concrete
proposal for a switch can even meaningfully be made (before the thread
largely derailed on the actual details of this not-yet-made proposal,
which was not really the intent, but anyway).

I tend to shrug about size issues because I view them as the least
of my worries compared to PDF / SVG features, which everybody agrees
are critical to get Cairo ready for being a default, and I don't have
high hopes of doing anything about them anyway.