Re: The hel-arabic.ly file story...

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: The hel-arabic.ly file story...
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2023 17:13:03 +0100

Hello Hassan,

Hello
I am hassan EL FATIHI author of hel-arabic.ly,
if you have questions or changes to propose I am at your disposal.
I have been practicing Arabic music for more than thirty years,
in addition I am a computer scientist which pushed me to program hel-arabic.ly

What's most surprising to me in hel-arabic.ly is the use of the sharp.slashslash.stemstemstem accidental. In all Arabic music I know (and also in arabic.ly, in https://www.w3.org/2021/03/smufl14/tables/arabic-accidentals.html, in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_tone_system and other sources), this is used to designate a sharpening by a 3/4 tone - which is also quite logical, designating the progression from 1/4 tone, 1/2=2/4 tones, 3/4 tones by an increasing number of vertical lines in the accidental glyph.

In hel-arabic.ly, the symbol is used for the huge amount of raising by 7/2 tones (which is more than half an octave). What musical practice does this relate to? Can you give examples in the literature, pieces/maqams/... in which this kind of alteration is being used?

Lukas