Re: Missing items to make Cairo ready

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Missing items to make Cairo ready
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2023 13:39:46 +0100

Le 04/01/2023 à 12:52, Han-Wen Nienhuys a écrit :
On Thu, Dec 29, 2022 at 1:53 AM Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> wrote:
Hi,

I have just opened issues for the missing features of
the Cairo backend that I am aware of.

https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/6500
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/6501
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/6502
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/6503
https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/6504

Are there any others?
I've read through the discussion you started here, but IMO we're too
fixated on backward compatibility, which is unfortunate because the PS
-> GS -> PDF route was never thought through carefully. We started
dumping PostScript because we were going through TeX before, and
creating PDF at the time involved .tex => .dvi => .ps  => .pdf (with
.eps included into .dvi for graphics).  However, at the time, PDF
rather than PS was already the common format for print documents. We
were also lazy, and didn't want to bother learning how to dump PDF
directly.

PNG images will always be clunky for embedding line art, so it can't
be the recommended solution. What makes most sense for users? Other
illustration programs also can't process EPS (for the same reasons we
don't), so how do those programs embed line art? What is the preferred
format for logos today? SVG? AI? PDF?

PNG?

Look here:

https://www.gnu.org/graphics/package-logos.fr.html

More than half of the logos are in PNG, some are in SVG, a
some in JPG.

I still don't understand the criticism against logos in PNG. For
something like a page watermark, I understand that vector graphics
may be important, but for something the size of a logo?

I looked a little bit at librsvg. On the plus side, their
COMPILING.md describes how to cross-compile it with MinGW,
so we know that it works. On the minus side, it pulls in
Gdk-pixbuf and Libxml2.

Given the sorry state of the SVG backend, and the niche quality of the
output-attributes feature, we could be justified to drop the SVG
backend rather than implementing attributes in Cairo-SVG (although it
sounds like a straightforward extension to Cairo).

I don't think so; look at the kind of stuff it would break:

https://github.com/paopre/Spontini