Re: The hel-arabic.ly file story...

From: Amir Czwink
Subject: Re: The hel-arabic.ly file story...
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 16:25:40 +0000

Thanks for your responses.

First and foremost: I'm not trying to accuse or hold someone
accountable. I'm trying to understand (and idealistically improve) the
process.

Okay, maybe my expectations were a bit too high considering the need of
comparing a contribution against the documentation in a musical context
one is not familiar with.

But come on, you don't need to be experts to discover code duplication.
Even if you're not familiar with Arabic music, the same blocks of code
in a single file from a single contribution can possibly be spotted and
it should be in your best interest to have as few copy-pasted code as
possible. I mean the first contribution to hel-arabic.ly even redefined
the "major" and "minor" key-signatures (and copies of that too) with
exactly these names to the exact definition they already have.
Ok, but as far as I understood it, people simply don't look at the
content of contributions about music styles they are not familiar with.
Well then, here I am to do it.

But I wonder, how the process will work then? Every one simply commits
what he thinks is best and we regularly overwrite each others
contributions? That can't be in the best interest of nobody...

Best Regards,
Amir