Re: Missing items to make Cairo ready

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Missing items to make Cairo ready
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2023 11:51:16 +0100

Le 01/01/2023 à 00:40, Paolo Prete a écrit :

On Sat, Dec 31, 2022 at 1:39 AM Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> wrote:

    Le 31/12/2022 à 01:29, Paolo Prete a écrit :
    > Yeah, I also thought about overlying multiple surfaces.

    Nope, no dice.

    > But don't exclude my tip: after all, the colors can give you unique
    > identifiers for the map I've described to you, and this makes the
    > mechanism safe

    Well, it's pretty hacky.

I know but I would not underestimate it. I found the following merge request, where I see your participation:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/cairo/cairo/-/merge_requests/254

In theory, adding <g> groups with output-attributes should have a similar, if not identical implementation.

I think it should be simpler because it does not need to get the extents of the inner content, unlike hyperlinks.

What I fear is that manipulating the SVG tree is beyond the scope of the library, which is meant for _rendering_; but at the same time I think that producing a SVG file is in itself more than "rendering" (then, these features could be accepted).

Uli Schlachter is a Cairo maintainer, and her/his (?) reaction on the MR was merely commenting on the code, but not making objections on the principle.

A few years ago, the PDF backend gained lots of non-graphical features (which LilyPond is now making use of: metadata, soon outlines, etc.)

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/cairo/cairo/-/issues/281 has been open for 12 years and nobody turned it down.

I think it is in the scope of the library. It just needs an implementation.

Therefore, I think that the best thing is to ping the cairo staff and ask if both these features have chances to be accepted, considering the enormous advantage they have for LilyPond and other applications as well.

As you wish. I predict they will respond "sure, but are you going to submit the code"?