Re: pygment regex question

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: pygment regex question
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 16:38:18 +0100

Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> writes:

>> \version "2.23.10"
>>
>> \removeWithTag dyn \new Staff = upper {
>>   \tag dyn <>\mf
>>   \ottava -1
>>   a4_boringly
>> }
>>
>> But of course there's always the danger of beginners tripping up on
>> this because they do not recognise the situations where #/'/"" are
>> still needed.
>

> FWIW, the last one
>
> a4_boringly
>
> is something I wouldn't do, since
>
> a_boringly
>
> does not work ("a_boringly" is interpreted as a pitch name).

Not really.

But I'd not use _boringly anyway since it seems counterintuitive that
_cis would not work.

> Personally, I tend to leave out # when possible for numbers,
> and also leave out #' for symbols when possible because it
> is not only shorter, but allows the syntax highlighting program
> to highlight them specially if they're built-ins, be it
> in Frescobaldi or in the documentation via Pygments.
> On the other hand, I usually use " marks (but not # when
> not required) around strings, because I might want to add
> spaces in them, and once again because it makes the syntax
> highlighting more useful.

Scheme has symbols and strings, and how to map LilyPond to either is
sometimes a tricky decision.  In contrast, Lua has only interned
strings, so the mapping becomes a no-brainer.  Sometimes not having a
choice can be helpful.

> For \new Staff = <this>, I never settled my mind :-)  It
> expects a string, but then one could argue that accepting
> a symbol here would more sense.

<this> could be "cisis" while Staff couldn't.