Re: Prefer luatex for documentation

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: Prefer luatex for documentation
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 22:43:37 +0000

On 21/11/2022 16:41, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
I think we are losing sight of the question at hand. The origin of this “users vs developers” debate is that Wols criticized me for seemingly minimizing the importance of typography for my own reading experience of the manual compared to maintenance tasks I might personally need to work on (or that is how I understood it). To which I replied that I am not minimizing the importance of typography for myself when I read the manual, but its importance for all users, compared to availability of the documentation for all users and other work that developers are able to do for the benefit of all users if their maintenance burden decreases.

Sorry, I didn't mean to criticize you, but it seemed from the discussion that - from the *users* point of view, luaTex was the best option currently.

And I also got the feeling that it was going to lose out on the grounds of "too many Tex engines".

So I felt obliged to chime in. And as someone who makes extensive use of pdf documentation (and dislikes html strongly), I do feel I have a voice on the matter. (Whether it's worth hearing, is another matter :-)

Cheers,
Wol