Re: Prefer luatex for documentation

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Prefer luatex for documentation
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 13:42:53 +0100

> Le 21 nov. 2022 à 13:36, Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> a écrit :
>
> To clarify what Jean wants if he mentions 'maintenance burden': We are
> talking about a potential change checking for all three TeX variants
> in the `configure` script, or rather, what TeX versions should be
> tested against.
>
> The patch for such a decision is trivial.  It doesn't mean that it
> would no longer be possible to build the documentation for a given TeX
> flavour, it is just that `xetex` (or `pdftex`) would be no longer in
> the toolchain for CI and building the final version of the
> documentation.

Well, things that don’t get tested have a tendency to get broken over time, but
indeed it wouldn’t mean preventing from compiling with XeTeX in the immediate
future.

It would mean that once XeTeX does break, we don’t get “hello, I am a new
contributor / a distro packager, and your doc build is failing for me with this
obscure error: …”.

Jean