Re: BDWGC fix in 2.24?

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: BDWGC fix in 2.24?
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 00:21:13 +0100

Le 18/11/2022 à 16:17, Kevin Barry a écrit :
On Fri, Nov 18, 2022 at 11:06:45AM +0100, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
Hi,

What should we do? Do we accept releasing 2.24 from
the release-8_2 branch in BDWGC even though it is not
released? Do we keep the current workaround, which still
gives some crashes? Do we replace our workaround
with Ivan Maidanski's patch, which seems to apply cleanly
on the v.8.2.2 tag?
How sure are we that this patch fixes the issue?

That would have to be confirmed through the 2.23.82 release
candidate.

Assuming that it does fix it, then I think our options are:
- release what we have anyway, and follow up with a patch release
   removing our workaround when it's no longer needed
- wait for the patch to be released

My personal preference is for the latter option, but I think either
option is OK.

We have been in a really awkward situation with Guile 1 vs. 2
and macOS in the past years. The 2.24 release will fix that,
so delaying it for an amount of time we don't really know
is the option I like the least. Ivan Maidanski said "I think
it [the release] should happen in Jan 2023". Even if it's early
January, we will need a release candidate to test that it works,
so the final release goes from mid-December to mid/end-January at
best, but we don't know when exactly the BDWGC release
will be, and it might depend on the time the maintainer
finds he has in the coming months.

Jean