Code Signing for LilyPond executables (WAS: LilyPond 2.23.81 on lilypond

From: Karlin High
Subject: Code Signing for LilyPond executables (WAS: LilyPond 2.23.81 on lilypond-user)
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2022 18:22:18 -0600

> Continuing a lilypond-user discussion on code signing for LilyPond executables, in hopes of pacifying security software.

On 16/11/2022 7:55 am, Karlin High wrote:
On 11/15/2022 2:30 PM, Jonas Hahnfeld via Discussions on LilyPond development wrote:
b) whether we would need to buy a certificate for that.

I think the answer is "yes, need to buy certificate."

And even that is no guarantee of executables not getting flagged after downloads, UNLESS there is a large and powerful outfit behind the signature that the security companies wish to avoid angering.

<http://blog.nirsoft.net/2009/05/17/antivirus-companies-cause-a-big-headache-to-small-developers/>

If a certificate WAS pursed, with macOS having the greatest need I expect, it looks like it would need contact info and a mailing address. That is where I stopped research, having no idea what would be used there.