Re: markup->string

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: markup->string
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 16:29:50 +0100

> Le 13 nov. 2022 à 16:22, Thomas Morley <thomasmorley65@gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> Nevertheless, _if_ the old code is just (markup->string
> <whatever-markup>), would it be possible to leave it untouched while
> running convert-ly? After all it continues to work with 2.23. in this
> simple manor, only inserting a more complex expression, if the old
> code already has an optional argument?
> Can't check myself, my python is as non-existent as my C++ ...

How do you know if the old code does not use the optional argument? It could be
any Scheme expression, or even a #{ … #} expression. Scheme has more syntax
than one might think: there could be ; or #! or #| comments and all sorts of
things.

One could special-case (markup->string <symbol>), catching a subset of those
cases. I’m not bothered by the current replacement, but would that make you
happier? In any case, we can’t reliably detect all cases of markup->string
applies to one argument only.

Jean