Re: Potential LSR licensing violations

From: Luca Fascione
Subject: Re: Potential LSR licensing violations
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2022 13:08:56 +0200

On Fri, Oct 21, 2022 at 1:00 PM Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> wrote:

> Le 20/10/2022 à 15:46, Luca Fascione a écrit :
> > To be clear: the potential issue I see is when the score or some of
> > the headers it includes are GPL licensed, of course.
> > Now of course the boundary between 'score' and 'lilypond plugin' in
> > our case is particularly blurry, but still, it seems the
> > question is germane to the discussion at hand.
>
> IMHO, such an interpretation by a court is unlikely. The truth,
> as with a number of legal things, is that we will never know for
> sure, because (with probability close to 1) no court will ever have
> to settle such a case.

Well, the TeX people say that if the style file is GPL, the entire document
is GPL, look:

https://opensource.stackexchange.com/questions/2735/gpl-licensed-latex-template-implications-for-resulting-work

So I think this constitutes evidence that actually that interpretation is
the accepted one.

As to whether this will be in court, I agree this is not too likely.
All the same, if it did happen, I would not want to be a cause for
well-meaning folks to be dragged into displeasing circumstances.

I feel it was absolutely brilliant how Jan resolved the issue, showing that
getting new permissions
may actually not be that hard in practice and after all.

Luca

--
Luca Fascione