Re: Potential LSR licensing violations

From: Luca Fascione
Subject: Re: Potential LSR licensing violations
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2022 08:37:41 +0200

On Thu, Oct 20, 2022 at 7:57 AM Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> wrote:

> This is not correct, since copyright doesn't
> exist for something in the public domain (as opposed to something released
> under a permissive license). So the file headers need not mention any
> copyright at all, if the code is unmodified.

If I may propose a thought, I suspect it would probably be wisest they
asserted their status of being in the public domain explicitly.

If nothing else this will avoid future questions.

I've seen folks use statements like "This file was originally written in
2013 by Ay B. Cee, and he hereby placed in the public domain".

Disclaimer: Although I have been part of extensive discussions on this
topic,
I am not a lawyer, and my words do not constitute legal advice.

Luca Fascione