Re: MacOS release help

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: MacOS release help
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 10:44:20 -0600

On Tue, Oct 18, 2022 at 9:58 AM Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> wrote:

> Le 18/10/2022 à 01:05, Carl Sorensen a écrit :
> > In my opinion, we want to have
> > a) an installer for Frescobaldi that could install LilyPond if
> > desired, and
> > b) an installer for LilyPond that could install Frescobaldi if desired.
>

> Why would we need both? I think a) is the most sensible, because all
> Frescobaldi users need LilyPond, while not all LilyPond users need
> Frescobaldi.

Because once I have Frescobaldi installed on my system, new versions of
LilyPond will be released.  And I want to install the new versions to be
used by Frescobaldi without having to reinstall Frescobaldi.

A package would be fine; it doesn't need to be an app bundle.

As you said, all Frescobaldi users need LilyPond, but sometimes Frescobaldi
users want to upgrade LilyPond.

And people who find LilyPond (because they are looking for music engraving
software, not for an IDE for LilyPond) would come from the LilyPond site,
and I think the primary download from the LilyPond site should be LilyPond,
not Frescobaldi.

But I don't feel strongly about having b) as long as there is a good MacOS
package that installs as it should.

Carl