MacOS release help

From: Alex Harker
Subject: MacOS release help
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 22:26:29 +0100

This is a continuation of the discussion from lilypond-user@gnu.org
<mailto:lilypond-user@gnu.org> in a more appropriate place.

I’m responding to Jean and Jonas together as the two most recent sets of
comments were strongly related.

> On 17 Oct 2022, at 20:33, Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> wrote:
>
> I was actually *glad* to see the LilyPad app disappearing….

> On 17 Oct 2022, at 21:01, Jonas Hahnfeld <hahnjo@hahnjo.de> wrote:

> This was discussed before, and we *wanted* to get rid of LilyPad.
> Please see Jean's answer for more details.

Apologies for retreading old ground - I was unaware that this was the case and
I’ve obviously misunderstood what you were getting at earlier in the thread
entirely. Imistook the comments about a Lilypond app and dmg earlier to mean
LilyPad - what did you intend by that - a LilyPond installer? By definition an
app on MacOS would have GUI of some sort, so an installer would make sense to
me (If I’ve now got it correctly then  for this purpose I would normally use
http://s.sudre.free.fr/Software/Packages/about.html
<http://s.sudre.free.fr/Software/Packages/about.html>). If I’m not correct
about an installer then I don’t understand what kind of app you were referring
to when you said:

> The other point that was raised in the past was packaging as a
> LilyPond.app and a .dmg that users are more familiar with.

Packages would produce a standard Mac installer that would look familiar to all
Mac users. There is still the issue of gatekeeper but signing and or
notarisation can be applied to bypass/reduce this.

> On 17 Oct 2022, at 20:33, Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> wrote:
>
> Better yet: a .dmg package installing both Frescobaldi and LilyPond
> together. The latest release of Frescobaldi is actually missing a
> .dmg package, which is something you might want to help with ...
> (CCing Davide about this.)

I totally agree that Frescobaldi is superior and preferable to LilyPad - if
there’s something I could do there and Davide would be interested in help he
can let me know.

The most Mac friendly/idomatic way of doing what is suggested above (and
respecting the separation of the two projects) would probably be to have an
installer that would have a bundled version of LilyPond and the option to
install it or not, allowing anyone who wanted to maintain LilyPond versions
separately free to do so.

Alex