Re: LilyPond 2.23.14

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: LilyPond 2.23.14
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2022 09:09:02 -0400

Hi all,

> On Sun, Oct 9, 2022 at 3:57 PM Jonas Hahnfeld via Discussions on
> LilyPond development <lilypond-devel@gnu.org> wrote:
>> please test with your use cases and notify us of any problems.

I have been using 2.23.14 very heavily, on a large set of relatively
complicated and inter-connected files, in a mission-critical environment
(getting the scores done for the public workshop/reading of “The Quest” that
happened on Saturday night), and encountered no problems — quite the opposite:
many things that I had to work around before (especially around spacing,
collisions, etc.) seem to have been improved since my last major upgrade.

Whether or not it was a wise decision to upgrade to 2.23.14 right in the middle
of an unbelievably high-pressure, time-sensitive musical theatre workshopping
process is another matter… ;)  But it's no doubt gratifying to hear that
Lilypond handled the strain.

All the best,
Kieren.

p.s. Huge thanks to everyone who makes my engraving — and thus composing and
arranging — life possible (and especially those who helped me with those
custom-dynamics and \newSpacingSection “fatal errors” last week!). My
colleagues can't believe how quickly I can crank out scores, and how amazing
they look with just my stylesheets and essentially no tweaking. One concrete
example: on Saturday, I finished composing and arranging two songs at 10AM; by
noon, they both had vocal scores (i.e., lead sheets), and the one that needed a
piano-conductor score (i.e., with a written-out accompaniment) also had that,
and they both looked fantastic (great spacing, no collisions, etc.), and at 1PM
we started rehearsing with them. Every time I have the chance to slow down and
take a breath in my creative process — like today! — I am astonished anew at
what Lilypond can do.

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info
‣ email: kieren@kierenmacmillan.info

My work day may look different than your work day. Please do not feel obligated
to respond outside of your normal working hours.