Re: To branch or not to branch

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: To branch or not to branch
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2022 19:51:46 +0200

On Thu, 2022-10-06 at 08:39 +0200, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
> A factor that I was starting to forget in my enthusiasm for branching is
> !1510 (source locations). Here I am guilty of taking forever to prepare
> the latest version of that patch. I am open to opinions on whether it
> should be included in 2.24. I do think so, because the problem it fixes
> has been called a possible release blocker by some.

I have to say this is very late. Yes, the MR is a bit older, but it
also touches very core parts of LilyPond. On the other hand, the
compilation isn't enabled by default and the other change is about the
error path. I don't know...

> On Saturday or Sunday, we do the 2.23.14 release. We explicitly ask
> users to test it, focusing on these points in particular: large scores
> on Windows, -dcompile-scheme-code, and text marks.

Large scores on Windows won't be any different from 2.23.13, what I
tested locally was master of bdwgc. It's not yet even backported to
release-8_2, and I'm not proposing integrating it without a release.

Jonas