Re: To branch or not to branch

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: To branch or not to branch
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2022 16:05:26 +0200

On Thu, 2022-09-22 at 20:03 +0200, Jonas Hahnfeld via Discussions on
LilyPond development wrote:
> On Wed, 2022-09-21 at 20:16 +0200, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
>
> > Now to GC. I'm a bit worried by the report from "Ya Gloops"
> > that some 200-pages scores still crash
> > (https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2022-09/msg00238.html).
> > Yes, they're artificial, but they don't call the GC
> > explicitly, and some people do write scores with the same size...
> >
> > So I'd be cautious about releasing 2.24 without a full fix
> > for this one. That said, Ivan Maidanski is making some
> > comments on the BDWGC issue. A fix in 3 months is not
> > hopeless, is it?
>
> Not hopeless, but the suggestion involves making some inline assembly
> work to "catch" the crash and then continue. And it's still not clear
> to me if that is the correct solution, we would need to debug what is
> actually happening for the newly reported crashes (which I can't even
> reproduce)...

Ivan pushed a "generic" implementation using signal handlers, so no
inline asm needed. In my quick test so far, this seems to solve the
crashes that I am able to reproduce even without the workaround I put
in place for 2.23.13. There's a "scary" warning message, but worst case
we can patch that away.