Re: \fine, pre-process-in-final-translation-timestep & co.

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: \fine, pre-process-in-final-translation-timestep & co.
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 16:21:25 -0400

On Jul 10, 2022, at 12:04, Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> wrote:

> The currently recommended syntax for DS al fine
> repeats is
>
> \repeat segno 2 {
>   c'1 1 1 1
>   \volta 2 \fine
>   c'1 1 1 1
> }
>
> This seems to work just as well, though:
>
> \repeat segno 2 {
>   c'1 1 1 1
>   \volta 2 \fine
>   \volta 1 { c'1 1 1 1 }
> }
>
> Do you see downsides with that syntax?

Imagining myself in the position of a user looking at a black box, I would not
have much respect for a developer trying to make me believe that LilyPond needs
more information than "\volta 2 \fine" to determine that the work ends there.
I don't want to be that developer.

I won't rule it out, but it's not my first or second choice.
—
Dan