Re: RFC: disconnect from the Translation Project

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: RFC: disconnect from the Translation Project
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2022 09:15:38 +0000 (UTC)

> The PO template that is the basis for PO files needs to be updated
> at every release by notifying the coordinator of the release.
> That's a maintenance cost.  Right now, we're not paying it, and the
> result is that the PO template any translators would base their work
> on is from LilyPond 2.21.7, a year and a half ago.

Hmm.  Jonas regularly updates LilyPond's `.pot` and `.po` files.
Maybe sending them to that robot can be integrated into the release
scripts?

> In short: lots of fuss for not much reward, I think.  I therefore
> propose that we simply disconnect from the TP and use our usual
> GitLab process to accept contributions to po/*.po.

I think this would be a bad idea.  There are language-specific TP
teams who provide their knowledge in handling `.po` files – something
we don't have.  For example, there exists a LilyPond `.po` file for
Vietnamese!  If we no longer use the infrastructure of TP, we lose the
contact to these teams.

My conclusion: We should rather take care of sending files to the TP
robot regularly than dumping the whole process.

    Werner