Could something be done about the way the list of MIDI instrument names

From: Petr Pařízek
Subject: Could something be done about the way the list of MIDI instrument names is presented?
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 14:14:51 +0100

Hi all,

this list of MIDI instrument names would deserve some reformatting or even rewriting.
I'm saying this as someone who has never read this before.
https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.23/Documentation/notation/midi-instruments

The following things are all true at the same time, which makes the list hard to navigate with screen-reading software (i.e. when I can't see the screen):
- the items are arranged vertically rather than horizontally,
- the table is stored as continuous text rather than a proper HTML table,
- there's no information about which instrument name corresponds to which program number.

- Now suppose I want to find out what instrument name is used for the MIDI program number 82 in the listings that go from 1 to 128 (or 81 in those that go from 0 to 127). - Or suppose I'd like to know the program number corresponding to te MIDI instrument called "flute".

- If the items were either arranged horizontally or if they were stored in a proper table (or both), then the program number would be easy to figure out because: 1) if the items were stored in a proper table, I could use keystrokes for moving up and down rather than left or right, so that I could calculate the program number by first finding out how long one column is and then calculating how many times I should multiply this number to get as close as possible to the desired program number. 2) if they were arranged horizontally, I could still do it even without proper tables, assuming that each line always contains the same number of items, so that I could count how many lines I have to go up or down to find the particular program number.

- Obviously, the absolutely best case would be if the items were arranged horizontally, at the same time they would be presented as a proper table, and at the same time the program numbers would be included as well.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Petr