Re: balloonText and DoublePercentEngraver

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: balloonText and DoublePercentEngraver
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 14:55:58 +0100

Le 30/12/2021 à 14:26, Werner LEMBERG a écrit :
Well, it's not very logical, but not entirely illogical either.
[...]
I agree, but having a hint in the NR would be helpful.
Feel free to add it.
Will do soon.

This might eventually be a good solution.  For example, the only
way I found to adjust the width of a double percent repeat was to
use `\newSpacingSection` and adjusting the `spacing-increment`
parameter.
Not sure if we're on the same wavelength here.  You can already make
the bars wider or, to a certain extent, shorter, by adjusting
DoublePercentRepeat.extra-spacing-width.  That won't work for
reducing spacing to less than a certain amount, but then just
turning DoublePercentRepeat into a spanner wouldn't either (it would
only provide minimum-length).
Ah, this was the property I couldn't find, thanks.  Of course, the NR
doesn't have a single example for it; I will add one.

Note that with `spacing-increment` it is possible to make the double
percent repeat *much* narrower as shown below.  I now wonder why I
can't do that with `extra-spacing-width` – what exactly controls the
minimum width of the double percent repeat's two bars?

One last thing: an aid to understanding is to
view these horizontal skylines. You can show
them using

#(ly:set-option 'debug-skylines)
\layout {
  \context {
    \Score
    \override PaperColumn.stencil = #ly:separation-item::print
    \override NonMusicalPaperColumn.stencil = #ly:separation-item::print
  }
}

Jean