Re: Documentation of horizontal spacing

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Documentation of horizontal spacing
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2021 15:05:38 +0200 (CEST)

> Le 10/08/2021 13:30, Valentin Petzel <valentin@petzel.at> a écrit :
>

> Hello!
>
> Sometimes Lilypond can run a bit wider than engraved scores would do. The
> official way to mitigate this (as given by the Documentation) is setting
> Score.SpacingSpanner.base-shortest-duration. Sometimes this does not give the
> result we want, so we need to use different spacing parameters like
> Score.SpacingSpanner.spacing-increment and —.—.shortest-duration-space
> (especially since this also gives us some control over proportions).
>
> I think this should be part of the documentation, as I can be a vital thing
> for making Lilypond behave.
>
> I’ve included an example of different spacings achieved using these
> parameters, and an example of Mozart’s KV 545, where the default settings fail
> to achieve the thightness of the 16th notes that in seen in engraved scores,
> while using custom spacing yields a nice result without any further tweaks.
>
> Cheers,
> Valentin

(Moving to the lilypond-devel list with lilypond-user
in BBC.)

I agree that spacing-increment and shortest-duration-space
should be documented in the Notation Reference.

Would you be willing to make the change yourself? Read the
instructions at

https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.23/Documentation/contributor/documentation-suggestions

Unless your addition is very small, in which case someone
else can turn it into a merge request for you, you'll
want to get started with Git and GitLab. Actually this
would be a good idea in any case for future contributions.
All you need to know is explained at

https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.23/Documentation/contributor/working-with-source-code

The documentation's source is written in Texinfo. Most
of the time you can just imitate the surrounding material,
but just in case, there is a syntax cheat sheet here:

https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.23/Documentation/contributor/syntax-survey

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Thanks in advance,
Jean