Re: '#:optional' in Scheme function documentation looks weird

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: '#:optional' in Scheme function documentation looks weird
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2021 16:21:48 +0200

Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> writes:

>>> In `notation.pdf`, section 'A.23, Scheme functions', the function
>>> header
>>>
>>>   (define-safe-public (check-context-path path #:optional location)
>>>
>>> gets currently translated to
>>>
>>>   check-context-path path . lambda*:G59
>
> A quick work-around is to use Guile 2.x, as Jean has reported in
> !808...

Is that actually better?  Last time I had contact with Guile-2.x in that
respect, it replaced the argument lists by generic a b c d .  That would
be different here?

>> How many of those do we have?
>
> About a dozen.
>
>> One could redefine them manually, giving
>>
>> check-context-path path . optional-location
>>
>> or similar.
>
> Could you take care of that?

It would be sort of a crutch.

>> It's also conveivable that define-safe-public could funnel off the
>> argument list into the documentation string before it gets replaced:
>> I remember doing something like that for markup commands since
>> Guile-2.x did not retain the argument lists.
>
> Sounds promising.  Again, could you take care of that?

I'll take a look at what's happening here.  But again: Guile-2.x is
supposed to be better in that respect?  I find that surprising.